måndag 27 april 2009

GSoC09 => haskell-src-exts -> haskell-src

I'm very pleased to say that the wonderful Haskell community has picked my project to be one of the five this year to receive funding through the Google Summer of Code program. Thanks a lot to the mentors who voted my project, and in particular to Neil Mitchell who has supported me and offered to mentor the project.

Project abstract:

"This project aims to improve on my haskell-src-exts library for working with Haskell source code. The goal of the project is to have haskell-src-exts supercede the haskell-src library. The main thing involved is to add a mechanism that allows the user to conditionally choose what extensions the parser should be aware of. Further, I would extend haskell-src(-exts) with functionality to handle comments and exact layout, to allow for things like automatic code generation and refactoring."

I'm really looking forward to getting the chance to finally do some serious work on this library. I'll use this blog to report on my progress (though I won't start until around May 23rd), so hang around, cheer me on and give lots of input! :-)

3 kommentarer:

  1. Congrats!

    What's the scope of parsing "comments?" Haddock-style, like the GHC parser, or something more than that?

    SvaraRadera
  2. Thanks guys!

    @Antoine: Something more than that. :-)

    I'll put up some more details on the project here shortly. The simple answer is that the ultimate goal of the project is that 'pretty . parse == id' for a source document containing comments. This means retaining any and all comments, including their exact locations, alongside the AST.

    SvaraRadera